Here is a simple recipe for making delicious “bò lúc lắc” (Vietnamese Shaking Beef):
- 500g of beef (sirloin or tenderloin)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 purple onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 red chili pepper
- 1 green chili pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Herbs, scallions, greens, tomatoes (optional)
- Cut the beef into small square pieces about 2-3 cm and marinate with 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, mix well and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut the onions, purple onions, carrots, red chili pepper and green chili pepper into small pieces about 1-2 cm.
- Heat a pan on the stove, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, wait until the oil is hot, add the beef and fry until golden crispy, remove it and put it on a plate.
- Using the same pan with remaining oil, stir-fry the onions, purple onions, and carrots until they become soft, add the red and green chili peppers, continue to stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic, stir well, then add the fried beef and greens, herbs, tomatoes, and cornstarch.
- Continue to stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes, then add fish sauce and sugar, stir well and turn off the heat.
- Garnish the shaking beef dish with scallions and ground pepper.
Shaking beef is a popular and well-loved dish in Vietnam that can be served with rice or bread. If you want to add more flavor to the dish, you can also add a little oyster sauce or soy sauce. Enjoy!