Chicken dumplings, with their delicate wrappers and savory filling, are a delightful treat that brings comfort and flavor to any table. Perfect for a cozy family dinner or as an appetizer for a gathering, these homemade chicken dumplings are sure to be a hit. Let’s explore this delicious recipe step by step.
For the Dumpling Filling:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Dumpling Wrappers:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water
For Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Prepare the Dumpling Filling: In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, chopped cabbage, green onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly until well combined. Set aside.
- Make the Dumpling Wrappers: In a separate bowl, gradually mix warm water into the flour until a dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface until it becomes smooth. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Roll Out the Dumpling Wrappers: After the dough has rested, roll it into a long log shape and cut it into small, equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then use a rolling pin to flatten each ball into a thin, round wrapper.
- Fill and Seal the Dumplings: Place a small spoonful of the chicken filling in the center of each wrapper. Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water and fold it in half, pressing the edges together to seal the dumpling. You can also create pleats along the edge for a decorative touch.
- Steam or Pan-Fry the Dumplings: Option 1: To steam the dumplings, place them in a bamboo steamer lined with parchment paper and steam for 12-15 minutes until cooked through. Option 2: To pan-fry the dumplings, heat a non-stick pan with a bit of oil over medium-high heat. Place the dumplings in the pan and cook until the bottoms are golden brown. Add water to the pan and cover to steam until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Prepare the Dipping Sauce: In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar. Adjust the proportions to suit your taste. Add red pepper flakes for a spicy kick if desired.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once the dumplings are cooked, arrange them on a serving plate and serve with the dipping sauce. Garnish with additional chopped green onions or sesame seeds if desired.
These homemade chicken dumplings are a labor of love that pays off with each delicious bite. Whether steamed or pan-fried, these dumplings are perfect for sharing and enjoying with loved ones. Embrace the joy of creating a classic dish that combines the richness of chicken with the satisfying texture of perfectly cooked dumplings.