Banh Xeo, also known as Vietnamese crispy pancakes, is a popular Vietnamese dish that features a savory and crispy pancake filled with a variety of ingredients. This recipe will guide you through the process of creating mouthwatering Banh Xeo at home. Get ready to enjoy the delightful combination of crispy pancakes, fresh herbs, and flavorful fillings!
For the Pancake Batter:
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Filling:
- 200g pork belly, thinly sliced
- 200g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, Thai basil)
- Lettuce leaves for wrapping
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small chili, thinly sliced
- Prepare the Pancake Batter:
- In a mixing bowl, combine rice flour, coconut milk, water, turmeric powder, salt, and vegetable oil.
- Whisk the ingredients until you have a smooth batter without any lumps.
- Let the batter rest for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Cook the Filling:
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil.
- Add the sliced pork belly and cook until it turns golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink and opaque. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sliced onion to the pan and sauté until it becomes translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Repeat the process with the bean sprouts, lightly sautéing them until they soften slightly. Set aside.
- Cook the Pancakes:
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the pancake batter into the pan and swirl it around to coat the bottom evenly.
- Cook the pancake for a few minutes until the edges become crispy and golden brown.
- Add a portion of the cooked pork belly, shrimp, onion, and bean sprouts to one half of the pancake.
- Fold the other half of the pancake over the filling and press it down gently.
- Cook for another minute to allow the filling to warm through and the flavors to meld.
- Transfer the pancake to a serving plate.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve the Banh Xeo with a platter of fresh herbs, lettuce leaves, and the dipping sauce.
- To eat, take a piece of the Banh Xeo and wrap it in a lettuce leaf along with some herbs.
- Dip it into the sauce and enjoy the explosion of flavors and textures.
- Make sure the frying pan is well-heated before pouring the pancake batter to achieve a crispy texture.
- Customize the filling by adding other ingredients like sliced bell peppers, mung bean sprouts, or mushrooms.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of turmeric powder to achieve the desired color of the pancake.
- The dipping sauce can be adjusted to your taste by adding more lime juice, sugar, or chili.
Conclusion: Banh Xeo is a delightful Vietnamese dish that offers a combination